Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Tatting Project

I love to craft. I have not run across many that I did not like! But, I do have to limit the amount of projects that I have started at the same time! Otherwise....well, I would be buried under a HUGE pile of yarn, needles and cross-stitch fabric!

One craft that I enjoy it Tatting. It's an old timey lace making art. I learned it many years ago from my mom. I have played around with it on and off since...and mostly off the last few years. But, I decided to pick it back up and make something useful. So after some research for patterns, I came up with this nifty idea.

Living in a tropical island, you get hot easily. And with long hair...well, it's nice to pull it out of your face. But even with that....what about those whispy ends that don't stay put? So I had this idea to make some headbands! I wanted something plain, but also maybe a bit fancy. This is what I made...and I had so much fun!

First, cut headbands out of black fabric.
Then, sew them.....

Then....my favorite part...the tatting! I used four different patterns, all of which I had never done before...but they were simple...and fun!







Once they are all done....

Gather a bit of thread, some scissors, and a needle....and of course the sewn headbands!

With much patience, tack the lace onto the bands...AND....ta-da! The finished project. I love the simplicity of the white on black and at the same time the dressiness and daintiness of the lace!

They are very useful...and I really am glad that I could make them! I think it would be pretty to play around with some other patterns and colors. I think black lace on white would be pretty...as well as some other colors...and variegated! Did you know you can get variegated tatting thread? You can. And I want some....so....maybe one of these days you'll see some of that on here!

That is the end of the tatting project...

But I HAD to share one more picture! This little cutie is my FIRST Nephew. He was born to my older brother....who I think is pretty cool...and his lovely wife, Leah. He was born on September 7, and I can't wait to meet him in person. But until then, I am happy to stare endlessly at his beautiful face...and imagine kissing his velvety soft cheeks!

That is all for now...have a blessed and happy day!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Emily,
    Would you be able to recommend a good resource/tutorial on tatting? I love the look and the supplies don't seem to be space consuming. It seems like there are so many ways the finished product could be used. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs Joy!
    I did some looking online and found a couple of things that might help you get started. The first one is an old book, and it's the one where I got my above patterns. You may not be able to understand the pictures...they can be hard to understand. But here is the link: http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/monographs/pris_tat3.pdf Then I found on youtube a good video with instructions and I think you can follow them pretty well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=T4orFe4kaLw There are many videos on youtube about tatting and I have learned a few new things watching them. I hope this helps! If you ever need more let me know...and we can even set a Skype date if you want sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Emily! I just may try to find what I need when I go back to the States next month, so that I can give it a try. Maybe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome! I know you can get the shuttles at JoAnne's Fabrics. I think you can get the thread there too. I would recommend a light color so that it's easy to see. You might also consider using two colors as well to see the contrast.

    Enjoy your trip to see your family! I know you will have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily! Your work is sooo beautiful. I have always admired the beauty, femininity and daintiness of tatting, but do not know how to do it. Thank you for sharing your inspiring and lovely work with us! But mostly, thank you for sharing that precious picture of Isaiah! Oh what a precious little punkin! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ciao saluti dalla Italia splendidi lavori

    ReplyDelete